Ebullient Propinquity

A blog for chronicling my 23 things experiences and reading recommendations of the moment, along with occasionally random library things.

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Live and Learn

So this is my first post. Hi, Internet. Along with the 23 things I hope to post random notes of interest on whatever J or YA books I'm currently reading, such as favorite phrases, particularly good parts, and such.

As far as the 7 1/2 things go. I thought they were fine and would be okay ways of starting someone thinking about changing/improving their life, but I'm just not there. I don't need convincing. I already thought of myself as a "lifelong learner" in high school. I just knew I wanted to always be learning something new and discovering more about people and the world.

Currently reading: Luna, by Julie Ann Peters (The story of a "perfect" high school boy, who has dreamt all his life of being a girl. This is a bubbling stew of awkward and difficult moments. I'm glad I'm reading this and that I have it available to recommend for teens or parents that are interested in what it is like for transexual/transgendered people. I am also glad that I didn't have to go through this growing up.)

2 comments:

MangoManDan said...

I hate the parts in books, movies, etc. which feature as you said so well, "awkward and difficult moments." I end up skipping pages or leaving the room. I guess I identify too much with the character, even if I have nothing in common with them.

Hermes-san said...

Heh, I know exactly what you mean. Amanda is always joking about my trademarked "Awkward Cards" that I drop whenever things get too hairy. They allow me to instantly disappear in a puff of smoke.